B. Krysko – Fall 2020

I was diagnosed with a pelvic tumour on August 20th. Because they couldn’t perform a biopsy, it wasn’t possible to confirm if the tumour was benign or malignant until it was surgically removed.

My first reaction was typical; I think – concern and the fear of not knowing what the future held.

I decided to share my concerns with the prayer ministry at Living Stones Church, so I sent a message requesting prayer on the website. The next day, Sandra Hanrahan called me to pray with me and shared that the staff and members of the prayer ministry team would be praying for me over the days and weeks to come.

Speaking with Sandra reminded me of the amazing community of believers that I was a part of. Over the next few days, I had the most amazing sense of peace and absolutely felt the support and love of my wonderful church family. Any anxiety I was feeling disappeared. I was able to sleep well and has such a strong sense that God was walking with me through this and that there was nothing to fear. I felt uplifted and joyful and know that whatever this was, God would provide for me.

Verses of scripture came to mind that filled me with hope. One example is Deuteronomy 31:8, “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” 

I absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything I experienced was because of the power of prayer and the grace of God. I’m not the sort of person who can relax in a situation of uncertainty. My experience had nothing to do with me or my ability to let things go. It was God! His presence was so comforting in a very tangible way.

In the end, the surgeon determined during surgery that the tumour she removed was benign—a wonderful answer to all the prayers. I am so grateful for the positive outcome and feel very blessed.

What was unexpected in this journey was my renewed sense of the power of prayer and the confirmation of how much God loves us and that He is everything He says He is.

The other remarkable thing about my journey is that I believe God not only answered my prayer for a good diagnosis. He also set up all the steps to get there. Both the gynecologist and oncologist I saw were so very hopeful in their assessments. Even though they couldn’t determine the exact outcome, they reminded me that I was otherwise healthy and was in a good position to manage whatever I faced. The surgery went very well, and despite the initial decision that I would spend 2-3 days in the hospital, I was doing so well that they could discharge me just 24 hours after surgery.

What an amazing God we serve!